Thursday, July 16, 2009

Group Interviews...


As I stated in my previous post, my hours at my current job have been cut to 20 hours a week and my position at my job has been jeopardized. I just don't sit out and wait for things to get better, I look for more opportunities. For the past week I have been doing applications all over the place! Well I actually got a call back to go on an interview! A group interview lol. This interview occurred yesterday and it was very interesting. The group interview took place at Med Vance Institute for TWO POSITIONS! One was for a financial aid officer and the other was for a receptionist or "The Director of first impressions". Well there were about 30 people who were hand picked by their resumes and I was one of the candidates. First the 3 women who were conducting the interview did a presentation on this Institute and talked about the positions that were open. I applied for both but the opening for the receptionist fit me better because the hours are 7 am to 4 pm and I have to be out by 4 since I take night classes. So one by one we had to stand behind a podium and introduce ourselves, what position we were applying for, explain our educational background, talk about work experience, and tell why we were such a great candidate for the job. Now when I talk to a room full of people that I don't know my nerves are SHOT!! My voice shakes and my mind goes BLANK! lol I should have wrote everything down but I could not think straight! By the time I volunteered to go up and do my presentation the room was almost empty but I was nervous as hell.Unfortunately I don't think I'll be the person that gets the call back for a second interview BECAUSE I don't feel like I let my personality shine and say enough about myself compared to everyone else and the other applicants seemed so experienced! They had B.A.'s and a way more extensive work experience than myself...so yes I am being very pessimistic at this time. The only good thing that I can take from this experience is that I now know what a group interview is and it encourages me to practice at public speaking and say things that will stand out from the rest in the future. If I get a call back I will be completely shocked and excited! If I don't, I just take it as a lesson learned to do better on future interviews. Until then I will continue looking and hopefully start a career not just some dead end job...

No comments: